One of the main struggles of fundraising is the awkward fact that the human mind is driven first by emotion — and secondarily by logic and reason. It’s even more pronounced when it comes to charitable giving.
Here are 5 Ways Neuroscience Helps Your Nonprofit Understand Donor Behavior from the StayClassy Blog:
- Become the answer to negative emotions. One reason people give is to “fight back” against the bad things happening around them. Keep that in mind. You empower your donors in hard times.
- Understand donor values. Pay attention to the values they are putting to work when they give to you. Make your fundraising about those shared values.
- Remind donor why they give. Don’t go silent on donors. In their busy lives, they can easily forget why they connected with you.
- Hook donors on a feeling. Be aware of the emotions your fundraising taps into, and do those things consistently. People give from the heart.
- Build donor loyalty. When you connect emotionally and consistently, you become part of donors’ lives. That’s what keeps them giving.